Am I the only one confused? For years I’ve heard reference to Best Practices, but what constitutes a Best Practice? Really, inquiring minds want to know. At first blush, from the context I have heard, it seems to be they are:
- Something that works for someone else, that you don’t have and are seeking
- Something your competition does better, and you want to be as good as them by acquiring it
- A solution to a problem you are experiencing and want to resolve without a lot of work and pain
- The things in a consultant’s bag of tricks (They have nothing but … right? Just ask them.)
- Something to aspire to – The holy grail of practices. Nirvana, once adopted.